"di?nt" (with glottal stop)

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Tue Nov 16 21:02:43 UTC 2004

On Nov 16, 2004, at 3:13 PM, Beverly Flanigan wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Beverly Flanigan <flanigan at OHIOU.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: "di?nt" (with glottal stop)
> --------
>
> This deleted tap [dInt]

This pronunciation was used by white kids in St. Louis, back in the
day. These kids would now, as is your humble correspondent, be
approaching their 70's all too quickly. BTW, what about "no I never,"
used by these same white no-longer-kids, as opposed to the "no I
didn't" used by us coloreds? Is/was that widespread? And how about the
use of "youse" by white kids in St. Louis in my day, when everyone
claimed that this usage was peculiar to Brooklyn, NY? St. Louis is a
kind of Rodney Dangerfield of dialectology. It don't get no respect.

-Wilson Gray