pig as college slang(was "di?nt" (with glottal stop)

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Thu Nov 18 14:03:49 UTC 2004

David,

A good point, and related to a common old misunderstanding of the
Society's most serious endeavor: The Word of the Year. It need not be
brand spanking new; it is a word which has come to unusual prominence
in that year. I hope we have got around this by recently declaring a
subcategory for Brand-new Word of the Year (which may, of course, go
on to win Word of the Year).

dInIs (who is in a fractious mood this year and is honing his
Word-of-the-Year debating skills to a fine edge)

--
Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor of Linguistics
preston at msu.edu