pig as college slang(was "di?nt" (with glottal stop)

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Thu Nov 18 15:09:56 UTC 2004

        Not just black Southern country talk.  My parents, in southern Kentucky, used "triflin'" to refer to an unreliable person.  Many years later, I was surprised to find the word again, in the same sense, in contemporary songs by black singers.

John Baker

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]On Behalf
Of Wilson Gray
Sent: Thursday, November 18, 2004 9:55 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: pig as college slang(was "di?nt" (with glottal stop)

I agree. A lot of "modern" black slang is just a recycled or
exaggerated (WRT pronunciation) version of old-time black Southern
country talk. Of course, now that I've made this claim, I can't think
of any examples to back it up. Well, thangs be that way. Oh! That's an
example right there!

-Wilson Gray