Re:       Re: deracinate

Fri Nov 19 15:43:05 UTC 2004

> >Maybe Shakespeare had a reasonable command of Latin morphology?
> >
> >-Wilson Gray
>
> Yes, he supposedly had "a little Latine and lesse Greeke," as I
> recall from
> my medieval and Renaissance studies at SLU. -- Beverly Flanigan

What Shakespeare had was "little Latine and lesse Greeke," not "a little Latin".  This was a remark by Ben Jonson, another Elizabethan poet and playwright, who was a notable scholar of Latin and Greek, though with probably not much more formal education than Shakespeare had.  If I recall the story correctly, Jonson was brought up as a bricklayer, and was discovered when young by someone who spotted him spending his coffee break reading a Greek text.

GAT

George A. Thompson

"We have seen the best of our time.  Machinations, hololwness, treachery, and all ruinous disorders follow us disquietly to our graves."  King Lear, Act 1, scene 2 (Gloucester speaking).