the curious phonology of Wisconsin

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Sun Nov 21 23:13:34 UTC 2004

Good parsing arnold, but there does appear to be one phonological
element which Wisconsonites have which is not shared with even their
close Sotan and (some) Michigander talkalikes. The syllable division
of the state name is

wI - skan - s at n

not wIs - con - s at n

as the rest of us have it.

It appears to be lexical rather than general (since they do not do
funny things with the syllable division for such words as
'miscalculate').

Ah mimber whin Ah first wint up there frum Loovull to git me mah PhD
how odd it sounded. I couldn't even figger out what they was doin fer
a long time.

Cheeseheads; funny talkers.

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor of Linguistics
preston at msu.edu