the curious phonology of Wisconsin

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIO.EDU
Mon Nov 22 04:06:23 UTC 2004

This Sotan says it the wI-skan-s at n way and finds it hard to split the /s/
and /k/ apart (the aspiration feels unnatural to me).  I wonder if the
original American Indian word might have something to do with it?  Are you
outsiders syllabifying the word artificially, maybe by analogy with mis-
and dis-?  Natives, and adopted natives, should know best!

Like Doug, I never thought about it--until my students in Ohio commented on
my pronunciation of the name.  (And I should be grading their papers right
now instead of writing this. . . .)