the curious phonology of Wisconsin

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Nov 22 19:39:03 UTC 2004

At 2:28 PM -0500 11/22/04, Dennis R. Preston wrote:
>larry,
>
>Careful with that "totally" dropped (unless totally dropped for you
>includes compensatory factors). I think you will hear a long /s/ in
>those "Sconsins" (like you hear incredibly long /n/'s in Indianapolis
>when it's pronounced /nnnaepl at s/.
>
>dInIs

Well, I didn't actually *say* the first syllable was totally dropped,
I said it was totally unstressed (whence the tendency to schwagenize
the vowel) and that it's dropped by many Badger Staters.  I think, it
retrospect, that while some do have the long /s/ there, many don't,
and for many of those who do lengthen the /s/ it's not as remarkably
lengthened as the /n/ of the tri-plus-syllabic rendering of
"Indianapolis".  (Which would make sense, since there's less
compensation involved.)