dialectal "from the home" /of the home

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Tue Nov 23 02:29:20 UTC 2004

On Nov 22, 2004, at 7:23 PM, Bethany K. Dumas wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Bethany K. Dumas" <dumasb at UTKUX.UTCC.UTK.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: dialectal "from the home" /of the home
> --------
>
> On Mon, 22 Nov 2004, Wilson Gray quoted me:

>>> Interesting - the custom must have varied by county, The burials I
>>> referenced began in the early 1950s.
>
> then wrote:
>
>> In the _early_ '50's? That's surprising! Were the funerals in a dry
>> county or a wet one? Marshall's both the county seat of a _dry_ county
>> _and_ the home of the East Texas Babdis (i.e. Baptist) University,
>> Hence, it's a more Christian location than some other towns and most
>> cities in Texas, not to mention that my grandfather was himself a
>> minister. Given the generally high level of holiness in the region and
>> on this occasion, perhaps the Lord God of Hosts Himself spake unto
>> some
>> desk sergeant at the local state-police barracks.;-)
>
> I have no idea whether the county was wet/dry!  But one of the burials
> was
> of my maternal gf, a local Primitive Baptist preacher - I don't think
> the
> degree/brand of Christianity made any difference.
>
> If you know central TX, think Gonzales/Waelder = Gonzales County.
>
> Bethany

Good point. BTW, folk in Marshall pronounce "y'all" in the ordinary,
expected way. However, when Marshallites pronounce the long form,
"you-all," it sounds like "YEW-wall." But there's nothing particularly
noticeable about the way "you was/were  you wish  you would" etc. are
pronounced. Ever notice anything like that?

-Wilson