Request for info on hot dogs in literature

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Tue Nov 23 15:19:08 UTC 2004

There is a Greek word for "sausage", namely "allas" or "allant-".  It became
New Latin "allantois" from which we get the English words "allantoin" and
"allantois".  Not to be confused with "Alan", an Indo-European people who got
scattered from the Volga to North Africa by the Huns, or the Irish god "Allun".

I seem to recall that one of Aristophanes's plays (perhaps "The Clouds") had
a major character who was a sausage-seller.

Sausage-making may go back to prehistoric times (I'm sure haggis does, but
prehistoric in Scotland means before the Roman conquest of Britain, only two
millenia ago).  That's because sausage-making was one of the main methods of
preserving meat before refrigeration, the others being salting, smoking, and
drying.

     - Jim Landau