mark by hand (was: the curious phonology of Wisconsin)

FRITZ JUENGLING juengling_fritz at SALKEIZ.K12.OR.US
Wed Nov 24 17:00:02 UTC 2004

>>> mamandel at LDC.UPENN.EDU 11/24/04 08:25AM >>>
Interesting.  Ironically, it's almost exclusively people who have knowledge of German who say [U].  Non-Germanists tend to get /u:/ right.  They just mess up everything else.

Fritz

That's how I have always pronounced your surname to myself.
/yu:N/ or "yoohng" (the pronunciation you describe) sounds very strange to
me. English syllables ending in /N/ ("ng") always have lax vowels, never
tense vowels. You won't find any of the following, at least in any dialect
I'm familiar with:
 - *eeng with vowel as in Pete /i:N/
 - *ayng " " hate /e:N, eyN/
 - *(eye)ng " " kite /ayN/
 - *ohng " " coat /o:N, owN/
 - *oohng " " you, boot /u:N/ (your pronunciation)
 - *owng " " cow /awN/

I started to include the three heterorganic diphthongs, but I stopped at two
because of the single exception: the onomatopoeia "boing", which I think is
the only example of "oyng" /oyN/.

-- Mark A. Mandel
[This text prepared with Dragon NaturallySpeaking.]