sex 'have sex with'

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Fri Nov 26 04:43:12 UTC 2004

On Thu, Nov 25, 2004 at 05:36:35PM -0800, Arnold M. Zwicky wrote:
> Instinct magazine, Dec. 2004, p. 42, Frank Pizzoli's "What a Difference
> a Gay Makes":
> -----
> A new Chicago Department of Public Health report shows about 14 percent
> of primary and secondary syphilis cases reported there between 2000 and
> 2002 were transmitted through oral sex...
>        Roughly 20 percent of men sexing other men and catching syphilis
> indicated only oral sex exposure.
> -----

OED2 does have an entry for this, with cites back only to 1966 (in
intransitive use), but we now have examples from the early 20th
century in the files, and I'm sure Barry or Fred or Ben or Sam will
hit us with an example from ECCO or something now.

We also have transitive examples--Iceberg Slim uses it thus in
_Pimp_--but because you're citing an example in a homosexual
context, I'll share another such (intransitive), from a
classic:

1968 `A. D'ARCANGELO' _Homosexual Handbook_ 146 All Sunday we
stayed in bed, reading the funnies, the book reviews of all
the papers, sexing and loving.

Best,

Jesse Sheidlower
OED