Speaking of "toast"

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Sun Nov 28 03:45:50 UTC 2004

When I was a child, buttered toast was made by first buttering slices
of "light bread" and then putting them into the broiler on a cookie
sheet till the butter melted and only the *top* of the bread was
toasted. After we moved to St. Louis, which was not nearly as Jim-Crow
as Marshall, TX, as a child, I often had occasion to eat a meal at the
houses of neighborhood white children. One of the first things that I
noticed was that white people had bread-toasting machines that toasted
the bread on both sides. I also noted that no butter was put onto the
bread until after it was toasted.

I came to the following conclusions:
1) It was not possible to make a toasting machine that could toast
bread on only one side, hence both sides of a slice of bread had to be
toasted
2) Since the bread was inserted into the toasting machine on the
vertical, it was not possible to butter the bread before      toasting
it, because the melting butter would flow into the innards of machine
and cause a problem

Approximately 25 years later, I had a white roommate who owned a
toaster-oven. One day, when it was his turn to cook, he got out a
cookie sheet, put some unbuttered slices bread on it and toasted the
bread. This struck me as somewhat strange, but I wasn't the one
cooking, so I didn't say anything. In any case, after the bread slices
had been toasted, he took the cookie sheet out of toaster and proceeded
to flip the slices over to their untoasted sides and then he put the
cookie sheet back into the toaster-oven. I asked, "Why are you putting
that toasted bread back into the oven?" He replied, as though to a
child, "Why, so that I can toast the other sides."

EPIPHANY!!!

White people don't toast bread on both sides because they can't figure
out a way to make a toasting machine that will toast bread on only one
side! They toast bread on both sides BECAUSE THEY LIKE IT THAT WAY!!!

-Wilson Gray