Wake me up when Kirby dies; Broker than the Ten Commandments

Sun Nov 28 10:16:53 UTC 2004

Lima (Ohio) Daily Democratic Times, November 10, 1888
Laughing over the story recently told about the old Chatham theatre, W. B.
Gregg recalls that in 1846 or 1847 an old actor named Kirby was the
favorite there. Kirby was strong on melodrama and could die so
pathetically that he always captivated the house in that scene. Once he
was going through a particularly dull play and a kid in the pit grew
weary. Stretching himself for a nap he requested his nearest neighbor in a
tone clearly audible, "Wake me up when Kirby dies."
The expression raised a hurrah. The curtain was rung down and Kirby was
obliged to make a speech. "Wake me up when Kirby dies" was a Bowery
expression from that time down to a very short time ago. -- New York
Evening World.

--Ben Zimmer