"One foot on a banana peel and the other in a grave" (1932)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Nov 29 03:49:32 UTC 2004

Robert Hendrickson's NEW YAWK TAWK says that DARE has 1965, but he remembered this from the late 1940s. I don't know if it's Fred Shapiro-worthy.

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
PEN POINTS
Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File). Los Angeles, Calif.: Apr 10, 1932. p. A4 (1 page):
A man is in a bad fix when he has one foot on a banana peel and the other on the tail of a bulldog.

A LINE O' TYPE OR TWO
Chicago Daily Tribune (1872-1963). Chicago, Ill.: Sep 5, 1932. p. 12 (1 page):
Goodness, we feel just as though poor old Tammany had one foot on a banana peel and the other way deep into an open grave.

A LINE O' TYPE OR TWO
Chicago Daily Tribune (1872-1963). Chicago, Ill.: Jul 12, 1933. p. 12 (1 page):
THE ENGLISH POUND was reported yesterday as being within four cents of its normal value, while the American dollar has slipped down to 68 cents and a fraction and seemed to be poised somewhat uncertainly with one foot on a banana peel and the other in an open grave.

Ducks Drop Two Tilts to Angels
AL WOLF. Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File). Los Angeles, Calif.: Sep 2, 1947. p. 6 (1 page):
After having one foot on a banana peel and the other on a roller skate, our Angels got back on relatively firm footing in the Pacific Coast League pennant chase yesterday by beating Portland twice.

(NEWSPAPERARCHIVE)
  Bridgeport Telegram  Saturday, November 29, 1924 Bridgeport, Connecticut
...bAld mAn. Are compensAtiONs. you ONE FOOT ON. A. bAnAnA PEEL, the mAy be ON.....let the belt out Another boss is the ONE thAt provides When ONE cONsiders the..

  Portsmouth Herald  Monday, August 16, 1943 Portsmouth, New Hampshire
...by A GermAn Duce who AlreAdy hAs ONE FOOT ON A bAnAnA PEEL. Hitler will know.....which mAy tr'.ntblr. ntul thAt's ONE of ihrre Is still enough -rr wrnthrr..

  Port Arthur News  Tuesday, July 05, 1932 Port Arthur, Texas
...is like going through life with ONE FOOT ON A bAnAnA PEEL Per- hAps If I.....A clAss fight with old brAins ON ONE side And numbers ON the other..

  Clearfield Progress  Saturday, May 01, 1943 Clearfield, Pennsylvania
...fit" tVl NEW Mussolini muy hAve ONE, FOOT ON A bAnAnA PEEL And the other ON A.....of his hitting. His cONtrAct is for ONE yeAr the 1943 seAsON. Previous to..

  Indiana Progress  Wednesday, January 11, 1933 Indiana, Pennsylvania
...A mAn is in A hAd fix when he hAs ONE FOOT ON A 'bAnAnA PEEL And the other ON.....being prepAred in A vAriety of wAys. ONE type of bAnAnA is used lArgely for..

  Portsmouth Herald  Tuesday, April 27, 1943 Portsmouth, New Hampshire
...New York April Mussolini mAy hAve ONE FOOT ON A bAnAnA PEEL And the other ON A.....two grAndchildren, his fAther, ONE sister, Mrs. MAbel McCourt And ONE..