"Stretching..." (was Re: Wake me...)

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Tue Nov 30 02:42:45 UTC 2004

"Stretching himself for a nap..."

FWIW, both my wife, a native of NE PA, and I, a native of NE TX, are
familiar from childhoodwith the phrase, "stretch out," with the meaning
"take a nap," and "be stretched out" with the meaning, "be taking a
nap," e.g. "Go get your father. He's stretched out on the couch."

OTOH, "be stretched out" in Los Angeles BE slang meant "be performing
some intense form of manual labor," whether sweeping up or digging
ditches. "Man, John been stretched out since he copped that hame with
Public Works layin' pipe.

-Wilson Gray