R r

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Oct 1 01:31:44 UTC 2004

Yes, I say [ar]. I say [ar ei]. [ar ei dgi dgi...] Aw, you get  the idea.

JL

Wilson Gray <wilson.gray at RCN.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Wilson Gray
Subject: Re: R r

On Sep 30, 2004, at 7:40 PM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: Jonathan Lighter
> Subject: Re: R r
> --------
>
> Like my Southern students, I say "R."
>
> I say "R-A."
>
> R-A-G-G-M-O-P-P
>
> RAGGMOPP!!!!
>
> Doo-doo-doo-DAH-dee-ah-dah!!!!
>
> Sorry. It just came over me. (But I've never heard "arra.")
>
> JL

"RaggMopp" by the Ames Brothers was just about my most favoritest
record, when I was in the eighth grade. If I'd had an independent
income (parental attitude: "Why buy the record when you can hear the
song for free?"), I would have bought me a copy.

When you say that you say "R," do you mean that you say [a:], like the
Brits, or that you say [ar], like standard American-English speakers? I
assume that it's the latter.

-Wilson