"Disamunyhargigargunnigay"

Paul Zebe PZebe at CS.COM
Fri Oct 1 19:23:26 UTC 2004

I'm looking for the origin of the following word:  "disamunyhargigargunnigay".  A friend (Alma Lee Carpenter) says that the word has been used by her family for several generations and means "downcast; sort of blue".  Her family comes from Alabama, and I suspect the word, if not a nonsense phrase made up to entertain children, has African slave roots and entered her family's vocabulary via African-American servants.  It is possible that the word is actually a phrase or sentence made up of several words.  The spelling used for the word in this message  is phonetic and alternative spellings are possible (e.g., "diss-uh-mewny-har-ghee-gar-gunny-gay").

Thanks for your help!

Cordially,
Paul Zebe