nice language datum from the Times Magazine

Sam Clements SClements at NEO.RR.COM
Sun Oct 3 04:54:23 UTC 2004

It represents the "facts" as far as it goes.

>From a newspaper account the next day.

"The judges accompanied their finding with five reasons for choosing
"scofflaw."
<snip>
"Linked with the statement of ex-President Harding, that 'lawless drinking
is a menace to the republic itself 'or with the statement of the judges of
the American Bar association in their warning to the American people against
those who 'disobey and scoff at this law, or any law'."

"The donor of the prize has offered a further sum of $200 for the statement
of not over 100 words as to the reason why the drinker of liquor made or
obtained illegally should be known as a "scoflaw."

I don't interpret them,  I just report them.

SC

*In my mind, this ranks up there with the $64,000 question.  The answers
were given in advance.  Maybe not quite as blatant.........wait, maybe it
was.

One of the requirements was to link your word to Harding's speech.

From: "Laurence Horn" <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>
Subject: nice language datum from the Times Magazine