"presidential"

Paul Frank paulfrank at POST.HARVARD.EDU
Mon Oct 4 02:06:31 UTC 2004

> I'm trying to find out when "presidential" was first used in the
> sense "having a manner or demeanor befitting a president." The
> earliest cite I've found is from an article in the WSJ, June 2, 2976,
> which says "It would give Mr. Ford a chance to look "presidential,"
> which could help him win over uncommitted delegates..."

> Geoff Nunberg

Here's one possibility:

MR. THOMAS W. THOMPSON TO MR. WEBSTER.
Salisbury, October 17, 1804.

"If Judge Davis had more dignity of person, his appearance would I
think, be  more presidential."
Fletcher S. Webster, The Private Correspondence of Daniel Webster Vol.
1, Little, Brown & Company, 1857, p. 189.

And another:

DANIEL WEBSTER TO EZEKIEL WEBSTER.
Washington, February 22 [1824].

"General Jackson's manners are  morepresidential than those of any of
the candidates. He is grave, mild, and reserved. My wife is for him
decidedly."

Ibid, p. 346.

Paul
Paul Frank