hizzoner slips into the vernacular

Mon Oct 4 02:27:26 UTC 2004

from The New Yorker, 9/4/04, Tad Freund, "Going Places" (about Mayor
Gavin Newsom of San Francisco), p. 50:
-----
Newsom continued... "I swear to you, I could give this job up easily.
_Easily_.  I think about owning a football team,...  The reason I know
there's  life outside politics is because I've seen what life inside
politics is like, and it ain't--why am I saying 'ain't'? Got to work on
that--it's just not all it's cracked up to be.  I can't keep up the
pace.  I don't have time to read..."
-----

nice use of the vernacular for "authentic feeling", even if hizzoner
disavows it on the meta-level.

newsom isn't (by upbringing) patrician, but he also isn't working-class.

arnold