New "word"?

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Mon Oct 4 15:28:23 UTC 2004

On Oct 4, 2004, at 10:40 AM, Laurence Horn wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: New "word"?
> --------
>
> At 10:35 AM -0400 10/4/04, Wilson Gray wrote:
>> During one of yesterday's football games, I heard a commentator use
>> "critere" as the singular of "criteria." I guess he didn't grow up in
>> St. Louis, where "Criterion" is the name of a still-standing but
>> now-defunct movie theater.
>>
>> -Wilson Gray
>
> The teacher of a philosophy seminar I'm sitting in on keeps referring
> to what he calls an "indicee" (singular of "indices").
>
> larry

Jeez, Lar, the word is pronounced "IND-ice," as any fool can plainly
see. You just delete the final "s." But, seriously, folks, I blame it
all on the demise of the once-fabled classical education. (For the
younger members of the board, allow me to point out that, once upon a
time, "as any fool can plainly see" and "but, seriously, folks" were
both very popular catch-phrases. So, when I use them, I'm being
facetious and not serious.)

-Wilson