-dar

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Oct 4 18:24:23 UTC 2004

>On Oct 4, 2004, at 10:40 AM, Damien Hall wrote, about "Hindu-dar":
>
>>...Has anyone else come across similar coinages?
>
>just sticking to the exciting world of sexualities, i've heard
>"dykedar" and "straightdar", and there's a fair number of google hits
>on these.  some hits on "fagdar", "queerdar", and "homodar" as well.

I've read, or at least used, "bidar" in the relevant sense.  I guess
it would have to spelled bi-dar to get the sense right.
Unfortunately it's hard to google, because of the eponymous town and
district in Karnataka, India that keeps getting in the way.  (When I
first tried Nexising "gaydar" during our earlier thread on the topic,
back in '95, I kept running into annoying references to the
Soviet/Russian minister of finance of the same name.)

larry