-dar

Beth Simon simon at IPFW.EDU
Mon Oct 4 19:17:40 UTC 2004

well, this is, or may be, working on more than one level here.

-dar, in the Urdu - Hindi language spectrum, is a "one who"
noun-forming suffix. So, for instance, dukan + dar is a shop/small
business + one who, i.e., a shopkeeper, store owner or manager (or the
one running the place/the cash register).

Zamindar -- (zamin = land + dar) = the landlord, the land owner, the
boss

So, (I'm probably way out in the unfortunate Cubs left field but..)
Hindu + dar might be trying to work in a South Asian echo.

On Oct 4, 2004, at 10:40 AM, Damien Hall wrote, about "Hindu-dar":

> ...Has anyone else come across similar coinages?

just sticking to the exciting world of sexualities, i've heard
"dykedar" and "straightdar", and there's a fair number of google hits
on these.  some hits on "fagdar", "queerdar", and "homodar" as well.
no "sissydar" (did you mean "sissy bar"?, google asks), presumably
because sissies are so, y'know, obvious.

is -dar ready for the next edition of quinion's Ologies and Isms, do
youy think?

arnold

beth lee simon, ph.d.
associate professor, linguistics and english
indiana university purdue university
fort wayne, in 46805-1499
u.s.
voice 011 260 481 6761; fax 011 260 481 6985
email simon at ipfw.edu