GEICO ad

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Mon Oct 4 20:33:43 UTC 2004

Is anyone else familiar with the GEICO ad in which a squirrel causes a
driver to run off the road, then joins a fellow squirrel in a
celebratory round of hand-shaking, palm-slapping, fist-tapping, etc.?
Such a routine is known as "bapping-and-dapping" in the Los Angeles
area. I first heard this term used in 1966, at the First Watts
Festival. A company of black Vietnam vets participating in the festival
parade performed such a routine as they marched along. After the
parade, I asked the vets what that routine was called and was told that
it was called "bapping-and-dapping." Apparently, this term is unknown
outside of the Los angeles Basin. I've never met anyone from elsewhere
who was familiar with the term, regardless of that person's race, sex,
color, creed, sexual orientation, or branch of service.

-Wilson Gray