Hopefully (was disappearing prepositions)

Mon Oct 4 21:44:03 UTC 2004

On Oct 4, 2004, at 2:24 PM, Baker, John wrote:

> Arnold,
>         While I'm basically with you (standing back in admiration,
> actually), I don't think you can push the Copy Editor Effect too far.
> There are plenty of examples where a careful reading will reveal the
> intended meaning, but the reader has to read the passage twice to get
> there.

yes, certainly.  in the Copy Editor Effect, the "corrections" are made
fast as well as flawlessly.  but i've had the experience of wrestling
long and hard with a sentence before i discern the writer's intended
meaning.

> These examples do not, in my experience, arise with "hopefully," which
> I have never known to be used ambiguously except in artificial
> passages intended to make a point.

my experience as well.

arnold