French vs. "red" and "orange" (off-topic)

Sam Clements SClements at NEO.RR.COM
Thu Oct 7 02:57:57 UTC 2004

If I've got it correct, the word "orange" is cited in the OED PRIOR to the
word "tawny."

Here's a message I posted some time ago over at the Straight Dope Message
Board about this.  I'll link to the thread, if anyone is
interested--http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=244189&page
=1&pp=50

>>So much is being made of dates and words as cited in the OED, let's just
look and see:

First off, you can flush the notion that the color is first cited in 1620.
True, it was used as an adjective, but it came from the attributive use of
the noun, much as the word/color olive developed:

Quote:
      1542 Inv. R. Wardr. (1815) 104 Item thrie peces of courtingis for the
chepell of oringe hew. 1620 Unton Inv. 22 Two low stooles of black and
oringe wrought velvett.

So, there's a use of the word 'oringe' in 1542, predating tenne.

Quote:
      1562 LEIGH Armorie 19 Now to the sixth coloure, whiche we calle
Tawney, and is blazed by thys woorde, Tenne. It is a worshipfull colour, and
is of some Herhaughtes called Bruske,..it is made of two bright colours
which is Redde and Yellowe.

So [i]tawney[/b] was a mixture of bright redde and yellowe. Could be orange.

Just one more, as a teaser.
Quote:
      1561 HOLLYBUSH Hom. Apoth. 35 Yalow as an *Orenge appel.

(Orenge appel) meant the fruit "orange" in that sentence. But the writer
said it was yellow as an orange. So perhaps not all oranges were perceived
as "orange" color at that time.<<

Sam Clements