Blue on blue

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Oct 7 11:30:58 UTC 2004

I read about this so long ago that what follows is probably best decribed as "inspired by an actual event."

Anthropologists identified a nonliterate culture whose language contained only three color words. They arrived with a collection of  wooden blocks painted in about a dozen seemingly distinct colors and induced a test group to sort the blocks by color.

When the smoke cleared, all the blocks were in the dozen or so batches that you'd expect if the researchers had done the study in Topeka.

Participants in the test group explained that anybody could see there were only three colors in the world, but they came in various unnamed shades. If you needed to make fine distinctions, as in the study or when weaving colorful clothing, you'd have to say "x like the sky or "x like a leaf."

After the anthropologists went home, the people laughed for many days. "They can put a man on the moon, but they need us to sort their colors!   Now everybody dance!"

Can anyone refer us to the original study?

JL