"sort of" is elitist? (now with data)

Clai Rice cxr1086 at LOUISIANA.EDU
Thu Oct 7 16:40:18 UTC 2004

My reasoning was headed in the opposite direction, more like a literary
interpretation. If the two speakers are perceived as (assumed to be)
conforming to particular stereotypes, then one can ask what characteristics
of speech create or support each general stereotype. The distribution of the
adverbial, hedging forms of kinda/sorta, being so absolute in this case,
would appear to support the general stereotypes. A person viewing the debate
and thinking that Kerry seemed a little pretentious might be excused for
thinking, especially in view of the opposition that Bush represents, that
'sort of' is a pretentious form.

Naturally, though, what items people *believe* characterize a style and what
*actually* characterizes that style are two sets that do not necessarily
intersect and the discovery of which, as research goals, entail entirely
different methodologies.

--Clai