Sicilian Pizza (1955)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Oct 8 06:21:44 UTC 2004

The NEW YORK POST on Thursday had a Columbus Day special section. In the
discussion of all things Italian, "pizza" somehow came up.

http://specialsections.nypost.com/news/nypost/columbusday/20041007/p66_a3.htm
Pg. 88:
The first know (sic) pizzeria in the US opened in New York City in 1905, by
Gennaro Lombardi. Lombardi's is still going strong, on SPring Street.

Although Neapolitans were the purists, it's believed that Bologna was the
region that started to use meat--but the Sicilian pizza is not from Sicily at
all--it's an American invention.

Now that ProQuest has the CHICAGO TRIBUNE up to mid-1953, let's take a search
look for "Sicilian pizza."

OED ("miserable on food") doesn't have "Sicilian" pizza? Can that be?

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
 Display Ad 81 -- No Title
Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File). Los Angeles, Calif.: Jan 21, 1965. p.
OC4 (1 page) :
Add zest to your meals, give the family a special treat, visit the brand new,
so unusual bakery FRANK PANZARELLA just opened in the Magnolia Center,
Magnolia & Ball, Anaheim. Mr. Panzarella, a master baker offers Italian, French and
Sicilian breads, rolls and pastries. You must try the delightful Sicilian
Pizza, different in shape, they're square, and certain to delight one and all.
Open 24 hours a day, all baked each night and ready, warm from the ovens. Free
delivery within the area. FRANK'S BAKERY, OR CALL 827-8440.

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
 Herald     Thursday, December 22, 1955 Chicago, Illinois
...Bensenville OPEN TILL MIDNIGHT Try Our SICILIAN PIZZA' CARRY OUT PH.
BEN'S.....at the home in K I Now Serving PIZZA At MILLIE'S Green St. at York Rd..
Pg. 69?, col. 1:
PIZZA
AT
MILLIE'S
Green St. at York Rd. in Bensenville
"Try Our Sicilian Pizza"

 Daily Intelligencer/   Thursday, June 04, 1964 Doylestown/, Pennsylvania/
...Fried Meat Balls And Mushrooms. i This PIZZA Is A Meal In Itself. OUR
REGULAR.....The Newest TasJe BIG JUMBO FAMILY SIZE SICILIAN STYLE Can Be Cut To
Your Order..

(I'll check the digitized CHICAGO TRIBUNE again in about a month--ed.)