Red-State "sorta"'s

Geoffrey Nunberg nunberg at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU
Sun Oct 10 05:30:05 UTC 2004

>as usual, before we can count things meaningfully, we need to do some
serious linguistic analysis.

Arnold's right, of course, that it would take a systematic survey to
demonstrate whether or not "sort of" is in fact a class-sensitive
variable. But the Post item made a categorical statement about the
class associations of "sort of":

"Language mavens say the use of "sort of" as an adverb is a subtle
indicator of upper-class origins or aspirations. You won't catch any
good ol' boys in those vital swing states saying "sort of."

That's just plain wrong -- in fact "sort of"/"sorta" is quite common
in country lyrics. For example:

I went to the country - just the other day/To see my Uncle Bill and
sorta pass the time away. Hank Williams, "Everything's Okay"

And his eyes turn sorta misty as his heart begins to glow -- Marty
Robbins, "Ballad of the Alamo"

Put me through some changes, Sorta like a Waring blender... Terry
Clark/Linda Ronstadt, "Poor Pitiful Me"

Well I`ve been  sorta worried About Santa Claus this year. Alan
Jackson, "Santa's Gonna Come in a Pickup Truck"

It was misty in the canyon, the light was sorta dim. Red Steagall,
"Rider on the Rim"

But the pride  sorta died when the man got weary eyed... Don Edwards,
"The Christmas Trail"

One boy sorta snickered when the roll was read. Sammy Kershaw, "Vidalia"

Yet I always sort of missed her / Since that last sad night I kissed
her Numerous artists, "Spanish is the Loving Tongue"

Across the alley from the Alamo lived a pinto pony and a Navajo
Who sang a sort of indian Hideho. Bob Wills, "Across the alley from the Alamo"

I mention the artists rather than the lyricists because they're the
ones who would establish the relevant social connotations of the
expression.

Geoff Nunberg