Urban - a code word?

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Sun Oct 10 15:39:15 UTC 2004

Here's a usage from 1989:

"It seems to me that the soul of modern urban dance music--hip-hop, funk,
house, rap, etc.--and the soul of jazz are closely allied."
Re: Blues & Jazz, rec.music.bluenote; 1989-10-21

And some other decade-old citations:

"...he could take five white kids, teach them how to dance, write their
music, and sell them to the exact same public that oftentimes rejects
'urban' music with the general argument of 'this sucks' that you seem to be
headed towards."
Re: Music Awards; rec.music.misc; 1991-01-29

"I would propose the following: [...] rec.music.urban    This is for music
like rap, hip-hop, etc.  I'm not sure that's an appropriate name, not being
a fan of the genre, but I would think that rap or hip-hop alone would be too
narrow a category right now."
Re: CFD: rec.music reorganisation; news.groups; 1991-03-11

"I've been checkin out urban radio for quite a few years, so I tend to look
at rap as an extension/addition to a music genre that I'm already familiar
with."
Re: PE and the Suburbs; rec.music.funky; 1991-07-26

The early usenet citations are all in a music context.

--Dave Wilton
  dave at wilton.net
  http://www.wilton.net