"shambo" (was " Charlie")--Why "sham"?

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Oct 11 03:12:20 UTC 2004

No, a sham attack and a sneak attack are two different things, I'd say.

"Cohen, Gerald Leonard" <gcohen at UMR.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: "Cohen, Gerald Leonard"
Subject: Re: "shambo" (was " Charlie")--Why "sham"?

Still just guessing: How about "sham" (dishonest, phony), with reference to the sneak attack on Pearl Harbor? Btw, Sambo was "little black Sambo." The Japanese, while not black, are not white either, and they tend to be of shorter physical stature than many of their American counterparts.

Gerald Cohen