Two seasons: winter and construction (1986); OT: photo

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Tue Oct 12 11:52:13 UTC 2004

"Two seasons: winter and construction" is an obvious descendant of an older
saying that probably antedates automobile roads, and for which I have a 1945
citation:

"In Vermont they had only two seasons: winter and August.  The fields were so
rocky that Phil had to blast the boulders so he could plant potatoes; the
cold was so intense that six months out of twelve, the hens laid hard-boiled
eggs."

from _The Wonderful Adventures of Paul Bunyan_ retold by Louis Untermeyer
(New York: Heritage Press, 1945, no ISBN) page 40.
 (The Heritage Press published books in boxed hardbound editions for a book
club called "The Heritage Club" to which my father belonged for many years.  It
my be an imprint of the George Macy Companies, Inc)

          - James A. Landau