Charlie

Tue Oct 12 12:48:04 UTC 2004

As a lot of the responses to this thread imply, there
may have been veteran troops who were using Charlie
from the very first days of conflict based on past
experiences in Korea, China, or Japan. (Perhaps even
talking about the French fighting 'Charlie'.  Did the
French refer to the Viet Cong or Viet Minh as
'Charlie'? )

But, 'Charlie' for VC might easily have developed from
the very clear association with Victor Charlie,
independent of any reference or connection to similar,
earlier uses.  To put it another way, I don't think it
was necessary that someone had to hear a veteran use
Charlie to refer to Japanese or Chinese or Koreans
before making the Viet Cong to VC to Victor Charlie to
Charlie connection.  It seems to me that if such a
natural connection had NOT been made, and made very
quickly - that would have been surprising!

--- FRITZ JUENGLING