New "-dar" word?

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Tue Oct 12 14:40:01 UTC 2004

Dennis Baron said:
>yeah, jewdar is definitely old business, and it involves a lot more
>than spotting who doesn't put up  lights on the porch after
>thanksgiving.

When I was an undergraduate, in the early 70s, many of my friends
were indeed concerned with determining who of our acquaintances was
Jewish and who was not. But the *term* "jewdar" wasn't used for the
ability to suss this out. We did, on the other hand, use the
abbreviation MOT (Member Of the Tribe) to refer to fellow Jews.
Alice Faber                                             faber at haskins.yale.edu
Haskins Laboratories                                  tel: (203) 865-6163 x258
New Haven, CT 06511 USA                                     fax (203) 865-8963