"Judy, Judy, Judy" (1963)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Oct 13 06:51:32 UTC 2004

JUDY JUDY JUDY--3,820 Google hits, 1,740 Google Groups hits

I was reading an article about Jews and it just used "Jew-ie Jew-ie Jew-ie."

I don't know what Fred Shapiro has. If Douglas Wilson/Sam Clements beats me
on this, he's a dirty rat.

(GOOGLE)
Article - "Judy, Judy, Judy" - The Ultimate Cary Grant Pages
Extract from CARY GRANT: Recollections in his Own Words & by Those Who Knew
Him
Best. By Nancy Nelson. "Judy, Judy, Judy". Peter Bogdanovich ...
www.carygrant.net/articles/judy.htm - 23k - Cached - Similar pages
Peter Bogdanovich believes that the genesis of the imitation came from
Grant's delivery in several lines in Only Angels Have Wings.. 'In the film his
former girl friend is called Judith or Judy (played by Rita Hayworth). Cary has
lines like "Hello, Judy. Come on, Judy. Now, Judy." But he never said "Judy,
Judy, Judy." '

Judy Quine has another explanation: 'Cary told me back in 1955 that when he
did the Lux Radio Theater, they used his voice introduction for Judy Garland,
who was a guest for the following week. He recalled some banter where he could
have said "Judy, Judy, Judy," but he wasn't sure.'

Although Grant must have tired of being constantly asked to say the line, he
always obliged when women named Judy asked him to say 'Juday, Juday, Juday.'
And Rich Little admires Grant's sense of humor about it: 'Cary said [Little
imitating CG], "Where is this 'Juday, Juday, Juday' coming from? I don't know
anybody named Juday-Juday-Juday. The only Judy I knew was Judy Garland. And when
I saw her, there weren't three of 'em!" '

During the making of Charade Peter Stone used to joke with Grant about 'Judy,
Judy, Judy.' He recalls: "While we were shooting the taxi scene - right near
the end of the picture where Audrey's feet are up in his lap and he's
massaging them - Cary looked at the camera and said [Stone imitating CG] "Juday,
Juday, Juday. There. Now you've got it on film!'"

As late as the 1980's Grant was still answering questions about the phrase,
and during on of his Conversations he offered still another speculation on how
it came about. CG: We looked up track after track and outtake after outtake.
As far as we can tell, I never said it. We think it started with a celebrity
impersonator by the name of Larry Storch.  He apparently was appearing in a
nightclub and doing me when Judy Garland walked in. And that's how he greeted
her.

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
Adlai Stevenson Acts for Bob Hope; Does 'Global Affair' Walk-On; Pola Negri
Upstages Comedian
HEDDA HOPPER. Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File). Los Angeles, Calif.: Aug
27, 1963. p. D9 (1 page) :
Cy Howard's working in a new CBS series, "Judy, Judy, Judy," a comedy with a
San Francisco background. It's for a big star but he wouldn't say who.

Other 11 -- No Title
Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File). Los Angeles, Calif.: Sep 29, 1963. p.
C30 (2 pages)
Second page:
JUDY! JUDY! JUDY!
JUDY GARLAND
JAMES MASON in
"A STAR IS BORN"

Display Ad 31 -- No Title
New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Jun 17, 1969. p. 17 (1
page) :
_Judy, Judy,  Judy_
_JUDY_
The Films and Career of Judy Garland
by Joe Morella and Edward Z. Epstein
Introduction by Judith Crist

Oh, Judy! Oh, Rudy! Oh, Balderdash!
By GEORGE L. SHERMAN. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Jul
16, 1972. p. D1 (1 page):
...a youthful, hyperkinetic Cary Grant bounds into the room, sounding, when
he speaks, like a third-rate imitation of Cary Grant.
CARY: Oh, Judy! Judy! Judy!

Hollywood Gives Its Regards to Cagney; Special to The New York Times
New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Mar 14, 1974. p. 44 (1
page):
In accepting the award, Mr. Cagney treated the audience to an imitation of
his imitators, saying, "You dirty rat."

"I never said that line," he added. "What I said was, 'Judy, Judy, Judy.'"

Cary Grant, in Retrospect; The Charismatic Cary Grant: THE Actor in
Retrospect
By Tom Shales. The Washington Post (1974-Current file). Washington, D.C.: Jul
4, 1976. p. 121 (2 pages)
Pg. H5:
Comics who do impersonations of Grant--most do invariably grab their neckties
with both hands and dart about muttering, "Judy Judy Judy," even though Grant
never said "Judy Judy Judy" in a movie (the way Cagney never said, "You dirty
rat").