The new Washington DC baseball team

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Oct 13 14:40:02 UTC 2004

At 10:15 AM -0400 10/13/04, David Bowie wrote:

>For those interested in naming issues, BTW, the controversy over what to
>name the DC [Expos] is getting interesting--the city doesn't want
>"Senators", the obvious choice, since DC has no actual Senators. There's
>been a strong push for "Grays", after DC's Negro League team

although they were the Homestead (and not Washington) Grays

>, but not a very
>intense one for "Nationals", which i find interesting, since that was the
>official name of the 1924 Washington Senators. (Though i note that, among
>old DC baseball team names, there's also the Olympics, the Statesmen, the
>Blue Legs, and my favorite, the Quicksteps.)

Yes, I've been following that too; Tony Kornheiser and his ESPN
"Pardon the Interruption" colleague Michael Wilbon went through the
possibilities and seemed to be leaning toward the Grays and Nationals
as serious candidates, with Kornheiser also pushing for Yinkees, to
infuriate George Steinbrenner.  I think the main problem with
"Senators" is not so much that DC has no actual Senators (living
there, although they do work there, at least some of the time) but
the bad karma from the last two Senators franchises.  Of course
there's also the Lobbyists.  If worst comes to worst, given the
current state of the federal government they could retain and
slightly modify the current nickname:  The Washington Indecent Expos.
Remember, you read it here first.

Larry