Who's your daddy?

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Thu Oct 14 15:40:06 UTC 2004

Steve Boatti said:
>In a message dated 10/14/04 10:59:02 AM, RonButters at aol.com writes:
>

>>  > Anyone have any information about the origins of the phrase "Who's your
>>  > daddy?" This phrase was
>>  > recently used by Red Sox pitcher Pedro Martinez. A reporter wants to know.
>>

>Well, Pedro Martinez never used the phrase "Who's your daddy?" A few weeks
>ago, after losing a game to the Yankees, he said "You have to give
>them credit .
>. .They beat me. They're that good right now. They're that hot.   I just tip
>my hat and call the Yankees my daddy." Soon after, Yankees fans began
>serenading the Red Sox players with the derisive chant, "Who's your
>daddy?" So the
>real question is, what is the origin of the phrase, "_______ is my
>daddy," with
>the meaning of "________ dominates me."

I'm pretty sure that I've heard the derisive intonation "who's your
daddy?" chant that proliferated at Yankee Stadium last night on
broadcasts of college basketball games.
Alice Faber                                             faber at haskins.yale.edu
Haskins Laboratories                                  tel: (203) 865-6163 x258
New Haven, CT 06511 USA                                     fax (203) 865-8963