The new Washington DC baseball team

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Oct 14 16:51:35 UTC 2004

At 8:32 AM -0400 10/14/04, James A. Landau wrote:

>A name that would complement the existing Redskins, as well as the Bullets,
>is the "Washington Warpath".  Too political, though.  "Washington Doves?"

The Bullets are no longer extant.  They've been the Wizards for some
time; owner Abe Pollin changed the name because of the association
with the high rate of violent crime in D.C.

and...
At 9:01 AM -0400 10/14/04, Page Stephens wrote:
>Does anyone out there remember that during the anti communist hysteria of
>the 1950s the people who owned The Cincinnati Reds attempted to change the
>name of the team from Reds to Red Legs?
>
>The St. Louis Cardinals who were also named for the color of their uniforms
>managed to keep their name as did The Boston Red Sox and Red Legs was soon
>relegated to the trash pile of history.
>
>Can you imagine anyone in their right mind referring to "The Big Red
>Machine" of the 1970s as "The Big Red Leg Machine"?

Redlegs, all one word.  This *was* an old name of the team, back in
the 19th century, if (distant) memory serves, but (AFAIK) revived in
the 50's for the reason Page says.  My mental chronology is Red
Stockings --> Redlegs --> Reds --> Redlegs --> Reds?

Larry