Who's your daddy?

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Fri Oct 15 03:34:43 UTC 2004

On Oct 14, 2004, at 12:34 PM, Grant Barrett wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Grant Barrett <gbarrett at WORLDNEWYORK.ORG>
> Subject:      Re: Who's your daddy?
> --------
>
> While the phrase appears in the Zombies song, there it doesn't seem to
> me to include the subtext found in the current use. The current "who's
> your daddy" is also not the literal, "Who is you father and what does
> he do?" Nor do I think it is saying "you're a bastard" or "you're a son
> of a bitch," although there could be echos of either.
>
> For "daddy," HDAS has, among other defs, "the finest, largest, or most
> striking example," "a man who is an important influence in a field,"
> and "the lover and protector of a prostitute; pimp."

A prostitute has a "lover and protector"? This is the very antithesis
of the reality. Anyone who believes that this could possibly be true
clearly has no experience whatsoever of "the (sporting) life" or "the
game" and really, really, really needs to get out more. Prostitution is
not known as "white _slavery_" for no reason.

-Wilson Gray