The new Washington DC baseball team

David Bowie db.list at PMPKN.NET
Fri Oct 15 14:48:22 UTC 2004

From:    "Kathleen E. Miller" millerk at NYTIMES.COM
: At 12:51 PM 10/14/2004, somebody else wrote:
:: At 8:32 AM -0400 10/14/04, James A. Landau wrote:

::: A name that would complement the existing Redskins, as well as the
::: Bullets, is the "Washington Warpath".  Too political, though.
::: "Washington Doves?"

:: The Bullets are no longer extant.  They've been the Wizards for some
:: time; owner Abe Pollin changed the name because of the association
:: with the high rate of violent crime in D.C.

<snip>

: The team is frequently referred to as the "Wizzers." Whether that has
: anything to do with bathroom humor, the fact that the ball just
: whizzes by, or a just a mispronunciation - I don't know.

*My* favorite version i've heard is the "Buzzards"--a nice mix of the old
and the new, along with a bit of a description of the state of the team.

David Bowie                                         http://pmpkn.net/lx