"Margarita" mess; Sicilian pizza (1948, 1953)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Oct 17 13:10:46 UTC 2004

COMPLETEL Y OT: WHERE DID BARRY POPIK EAT?

The great Popik new-restaurant-each-day-in-NYC dining spectacular has been
continuing. Here are two recent good ones:

FRIDAY: AL BUSTAN--a high-class Lebanese place near me, at Third Avenue and Ea
st 51st Street. Pretty good.

SATURDAY: KANGSUH--a popular Korean restaurant at the end of Korea Town, at
West 32nd and Seventh Avenue. Quite good for Korean food (which I don't
particularly like). I ordered tofu ($15.95), and received six little dishes of
kimchi, seaweed, and more.

MARGARITA

Just thumbing through my new book here on American food and drink. "Chocolate
milk"...no. "Margarita"...ah, there's an entry!

The OED has 1956 for "Margarita." It's from me, but with the wrong date.

OED had had 1965. On February 10, 2000, after looking through ESQUIRE
magazine drinks articles by hand, I found a December 1953 new drink from Mexico
called the "Margarita Cocktail."

I later checked "Margarita" in the revised on-line OED. On January 18, 2002,
I pointed out that my "Margarita" citation is from 1953, not 1956. It still
hasn't been corrected by OED, in two-and-half years!

None of my "Margarita" work is in my new book. "The margarita...was
popularized by Victor J. Bergeron in his chain of Senor Pico restaurants in California
during the 1960s." Actually, the Margarita had been popularized in magazine
ads in the late 1950s and early 1960s. "Los Angeles's El Cholo cafe served
margaritas a few years after opening in 1927." No, they didn't.

Enough of this.

SICILIAN PIZZA

Another cite, from a search of "Sicilian" and "pizza," but not "Sicilian
pizza."

The OED might add this in twenty years. Hey, you never know.

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
Scotch Haggis Interesting--at Least to Sample; Tuesday Menu
MARY MEADE. Chicago Daily Tribune (1872-1963). Chicago, Ill.: Mar 22, 1948.
p. A7 (1 page) :
A good many of my readers are going to want this new cook book: "The Art of
Italian Cooking," by Maria Lo Pinto ($2.75, Doubleday and Co., New York). (...)
Among the 200 recipes in this book are such dishes as rabit--hunter's style,
brandied duck, Sicilian tomato pie (pizza Siciliana).

Reader's $5 Favorite Recipe Takes Long Trip; Gets a Royal Reception
MARY MEADE. Chicago Daily Tribune (1872-1963). Chicago, Ill.: Jul 21, 1953.
p. A3 (1 page) :
"I also use the creamed cottage cheese for pizza Sicilian style, when I can't
get ricotta. I roll out the pizza dough, not too thin, spread with sauteed
onions, a thin layer of the cheese, then seasoned crushed canned tomatoes, a
thin sprinkling of grated Parmesan or Romano cheese, oregano, and a few drops of
oil in which a small clove of farlic has been crushed, and bake it. This is a
rich and filling pizza, and with a tossed vegetable salad, it's a complete
meal."