Lafcadio Hearn and Jazz?--Walter Kingsley started it

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at UMR.EDU
Mon Oct 18 02:25:14 UTC 2004

        The source of this story is the  1917 article cited and quoted by HDAS. With
        a bit more detail it's Walter Kingsley, "Whence comes jass?" (subtitle:
        "Facts from the great authority on the subject." in: _New York Sun_, August
        5, 1917, section 3, p. 3, col. 6.

           This is the first article to ascribe an African origin to the term "jazz" and
        was much quoted uncritically. Criticism eventually did come, first in the
        excellent 1968 article by Alan P. Merriam and Fradley H. Garner "Jazz--the
        word," in _Ethnomusicology_, vol. 12, pp. 373-396 (see p. 381) and then full
        force in Dick Holbrook's equally excellent article: "Our word jazz."
        _Storyville_ (Dec. 1973-Jan. 1974), pp. 46-58 (see pp. 55, 58).

          Holbrook's comments include: "The plain fact is that the word Jazz was not
        researched up to (and including!) August of 1917. That's when the great
        literary hoax was perpetrated by the plausible liar and gifted press agent
        Walter Kingsley.  since this little story was quoted as 'fact' by experts,
        critics, scholars, historians, lexicographers, etymologists and discographers
        (which is just about everybody!)--from 1917 to July 1965...it's worth reading
        again."

        Gerald Cohen