Re:       Who's your daddy

Mon Oct 18 03:28:09 UTC 2004

In a message dated 10/15/04 6:13:00 AM, slang at ABECEDARY.NET writes:

> The suggestion that the 'daddy' in this case may well refer to a pimp
> seems right to me. But can I add another meaning, that of a dominant,
> macho homosexual inmate in a prison - see Braly, _On the Yard_ (1967),
> Bunker, _Animal Factory_ (1977) etc. The antithesis of the 'punk' whom he
> exploits for sexual gratification. A reference to such a figure presumably
> rubs in the dominating/humiliating triumphalism that the speaker
> presumably wishes to put across.
>
> Jonathon Green

I just got back from a performance of AVENUE Q, a Broadway musical starring
hand-puppets. I has been running here for about 18 months. One of the male
puppets--during passionate love-making with one of the female puppets--shouts out
(among other things), "Who's your daddy?" It seemed to mean, in context,
something like, "Girl, I know you are enjoying this!"