Snickerdoodle not American?, Shit on a Shingle in WWII?

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Oct 18 21:16:56 UTC 2004

I would welcome good evidence that "shit on a shingle " was current in World War One.

"S.O.S." did exist, but as far as I know it referred only to the "same old stew [or 'shit']." Gourmets meticulously distinguish this from "creamed chipped beef on toast."  In fact, it has not been established that "creamed chipped beef on toast" was a standard military or naval ration in 1917-18.  Or has it?

JL

Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Bapopik at AOL.COM
Subject: Snickerdoodle not American?, Shit on a Shingle in WWII?

CORRECTION: Pam's Real Thai is on W. 49th, not 59th. Finger drift on
keyboard.

All right, I just got back from the dentist and I'm ready to endure more
pain. Let's look at the book I wrote:

SNICKERDOODLE--Not in the index. Just amazing. All my work. So what is it, a
Chinese food?

SHIT ON A SHINGLE--I saw this in the canned beef entry. "Creamed chipped
beef on toast was served so often in U.S. military mess halls during World War II
that it came to be known by the earthy name 'shit on a shingle.'" Everybody
knows it's from World War ONE. "S.O.S." is quite famous.

ANTS ON A LOG--This popular children's food is not here.

S'MORES--Let's look at the index. Smoothies...Smorgasbord... Am I missing
something? S'MORES! American food? Two volumes? Anywhere?

SUKIYAKI--I found the first citations for this in the Chicago Tribune and New
York Times. It's not here in the Japanese Food in America section. Nowhere.

It's even worse than that...Let's see. "Milk shake." "Shirley Temple." "Jelly
beans." My work's gotta be there...