'sup?

William Stone W-Stone at NEIU.EDU
Tue Oct 19 19:43:07 UTC 2004

In the northwest suburbs of Chicago, 'sup' is very much a Caucasian teen greeting.  African American teens all seem to use a flapped 'whatup' and have for a while.  My 15 year old has certainly been
using it for at least two years.  How long has this variant of 'what's up' been around?  Where did it originate?