'sup?

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Oct 19 20:06:47 UTC 2004

"What up?" has presumably been around for as long as there's been the phrase "What's up?" (at least since 1838: OED) and a zero-copula in AAVE (prob. for as long as there have been AAVE speakers).

JL

William Stone <W-Stone at NEIU.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: William Stone
Subject: Re: 'sup?

In the northwest suburbs of Chicago, 'sup' is very much a Caucasian teen greeting. African American teens all seem to use a flapped 'whatup' and have for a while. My 15 year old has certainly been
using it for at least two years. How long has this variant of 'what's up' been around? Where did it originate?