Rochambeau game (YAMBO); My Book (continued)

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Tue Oct 19 20:45:28 UTC 2004

On Oct 19, 2004, at 2:08 PM, Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Bapopik at AOL.COM
> Subject:      Re: Rochambeau game (YAMBO); My Book (continued)
> --------
>
> YAMBO
>
> Craig Kilborn, formerly host of The Late, Late Show, played a game
> called
> YAMBO with some of his guests. Perhaps people were thinking of this?

> -------
> MY BOOK
>
> Perhaps I've confused S.O.S. with S.O.L. Sorry.
>
> Someone just gave me an article about Turducken. I've written about
> this.
> It's not in the book.
>
> Let's try jimmies/sprinkles. Nope, not in my book on American food.
>
> "Food Songs." Perhaps the most famous one is "Oh where, oh where has my
> little dog gone?" about the ingredients of the hot dog. Not here.
>
> "Thousand Island Dressing." 1916. Why did I even bother to post
> anything?
>
> "Waitron." Should be here under "slang" or an article on food servers.
> Nope.
>
> "Soda drinks." Surely, there will be an American speech map of "soda"
> and
> "pop." But there's nothing! "Pop" isn't even in the index.

In a Kroger's in Ann Arbor, MI, I asked a clerk where the "cold soda"
was. Looking a little confused, he led me to the Arm & Hammer. After a
brief discussion, the clerk understood, saying, "Oh. You mean "cold
*pop*!"

-Wilson Gray