Irish Coffee (1952)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Oct 20 05:11:08 UTC 2004

Another citation for this drink.

(Proquest Historical Newspapers)
THE TRIBUNE TRAVELERS' GUIDE; Ireland Puts a Lot of Beauty in Little Space
James Doyle. Chicago Daily Tribune (1872-1963). Chicago, Ill.: Jun 8, 1952. p. F17 (1 page):
The Irish also do not serve elaborate dishes garnished with cunning sauces. But Irish food is in the top European class--succulent grills, tender steaks, fresh-water salmon straight from the river, and Irish coffee, black, with a jigger of Irish whiskey, sugar and thick cream on top.

If you fancy going native, try black and white puddings (a sort of thick, sliced sausage) with your breakfast bacon and eggs. Or perhaps you'll fancy bacon and white cabbage cooked together and flavored with truly hot mustard, a favorite Irish dish.

COMPLETELY OFF TOPIC: THE NEW YORK YANKEES

Last Friday, while doing the parking tickets of someone with some Yankees stuff on, it came out that the guy actually works for the Yankees and knows George Steinbrenner.

I told him, for the record, about my work on the origin of the name "Yankees." He offered me World Series tickets. I said that I couldn't accept them, I was just stating my "Yankees" thing for the record. But really, he said, he could get me World Series tickets.

Maybe he works for the Red Sox?