'sup?

David Bowie db.list at PMPKN.NET
Wed Oct 20 13:54:31 UTC 2004

On Oct 19, 2004, at 3:43 PM, William Stone wrote:

: In the northwest suburbs of Chicago, 'sup' is very much a Caucasian
: teen greeting.  African-American teens all seem to use a flapped
: 'whatup' and have for a while.  My 15 year old has certainly been
: using it for at least two years.  How long has this variant of
: 'what's up' been around?  Where did it originate?

I missed the original post, so if i'm missing important context, apologies.

That said, it's not exclusively an African-American thing, and apparently
hasn't been for a while. Skook (a no-longer-in-existence ska band local to
Northern Utah made up of very white-looking people), in their song "Mac
Daddy Man" (about the sort of person who's the big fish in a very little
high school pond), sing the line "I walk up to my girlfriend and i say
'[w^D^p]'". AFAICT, the song was recorded in 1997 at the latest.

David Bowie                                         http://pmpkn.net/lx